Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Something New at Mommy For Reals: Stardust - Neil Gaiman

Most of you don't know this, but once upon a time I was an educator. I'm a stay-at-home momma now, but even though my life has turned from SATs and essays to binkies and diapers, I still love a good book.

Before creating Mommy For Reals, I had another blog, a book blog I created in collaboration with a friend of mine. When she had her son, she decided blogging wasn't really for her anymore and I was left to tend to our little piece of the internet alone. After much consideration, I have decided to combine all my interests into one blog. I know it is a risk. I know I may lose followers. My goal has always been to portray myself to my online friends as I am in person and it would be unfair to hide my uber-nerdy, book-always-in-tow side from you all! If you don't want to read my book reviews, feel free to skip them, just please don't leave me for good!

So, here we go.



Stardust is one of my favorite movies of all time and every time I’m asked why, I never seem to have a very good answer. “Because I like it” is usually my retort of choice. I know it isn’t a reasonable answer and I realize the vagueness defeats the purpose of the inquirer’s intent, but I really cannot seem to put into words why I enjoy the movie so much. It’s fantasy. It’s adventure. It’s Robert DeNiro in a petticoat. So, when I discovered that my favorite movie was actually based on a novel by Neil Gaiman, I rushed to my local book dealer (who am I kidding? Barnes and Noble stores are EVERYWHERE) and picked up a copy that wouldn’t fit on my already overflowing bookshelves. Jumping to the top of my “To Read” list, I poured through the pages eagerly only to find that in this case, the movie was better.

This is a story about a young man named Tristan who adventures into the land of Faerie (Stormhold, in the movie) to find a star that has fallen from the heavens to bring back to the undeserving brat he has found himself in love with. As it turns out, fallen stars are quite desirable and Tristan finds himself matched in a race with a brutal prince of the land and a trio of dangerous witches. I don’t want to give away too much of the plot because it is such a fantastic story and I wouldn’t want to ruin the fun of putting the pieces together for anyone.

The reason I like the film more than the book is just a matter of personal preference. The movie has more instances of comedic relief than the novel and leaves out some of the more provocative scenes, whose detail was really quite unnecessary to the storyline, but to be expected from a title nestled on a shelf labeled “Fantasy”. I haven’t read any of Neil Gaiman’s other novels but I have seen many snippits of him floating around the Internet which make me quite intrigued by his nature. It seems the contributors of one of my favorite websites, www.neatorama.com, are equally as intrigued as Gaiman has been the topic of many of their posts. I would definitely give another one of his books a shot but I would probably scour the library for them rather than invest in owning a copy of my own.

Overall, Gaiman’s story is worth the effort. I recommend the movie over the novel, but if you are just one of those people who MUST read the novel first, go for it. Just note: I would not hand THE BOOK to anyone who is troubled by the details of a little sexual exploit.


Danny

1 comment:

  1. I adore Neil Gaiman! Right from him writing the dark and dreamy Sandman comics and Good omens,Read that one if you want a laugh and your open to having a giggle about Christianity. The main characters are an angel a deamon and a boy.
    Good for you combining your blog, I think it's personality that keeps readers to be honest not always content (and if I get some book recommendations I'm a happy woman too!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin