Thursday, September 27, 2012

Butterfly Quilt

In March, my friends Ben and Melody got married and as a gift, I wanted to make them a quilt. I had been dying to make this butterfly quilt for someone (I was thinking I would make it for ME, but I know Mel loves butterflies as much as I do). So I set about making my first applique quilt.

I learned a TON from making this quilt (which is an oversized queen)! I quilted it by check book though since I was in the midst of major sewing machine meltdowns with Vera right around the time I needed to quilt this bad boy. (I got a new machine! I'll share about that soon.)

Anyway, I picked it up from the long-arm quilter and just happened to be running other errands near Mel's work so I decided to just give it to her straight away. The only bad thing: I couldn't do a proper photo shoot. These are just shots I was able to snap around the bridal shop where she works. I also didn't have my trusty quilt display man, so I used a dress rack. Turns out it was a little too short, but you get the idea.

couch

embroidery

See? Didn't even have time to get the pen off...

blue

front

butterflies

quilting

back close up

back

This quilt is HUGE. I couldn't even fold it up on my own. It's actually already been living with Ben and Mel for a couple months, but I've only just realized I never shared the pictures with you. This one makes me so happy that the other wedding quilts I've promised people will be pieced!!

Danny

15 comments:

  1. Oh Danny it's gorgeous! Love the butterflies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's fabulous Danny - I bet your friends are THRILLED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this one! How did you do the appliqué? The quilter did an awesome job I need to get her info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolutely lovely quilt! Congrats. What a wonderful gift for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the butterflies! You did a great job Danny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your butterfly quilt! And your quilting is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so beautiful. An absolutely gorgeous quilt is a great wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt Danny! How did you applique?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Danny that is just beautiful. The couple must be so thrilled with it! What an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is just beautiful! I bet they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful quilt. The colors are wonderful and custom backing sets it off perfectly.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin